Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kenya vs. Canada: Things to Consider.

By now you might know that one of the reasons I am in Kenya is to volunteer in Kibera slum and to experience a way of life much different to the one I am accustomed to in Canada. My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I came across a website offering a comparision of basic living standards between my two countries. Here is what I found:

If Kenya were your home instead of Canada, you would...

-Be 16.8 times more likely to have HIV/Aids.

-Have a 10.7 times higher chance of dying in infancy.

-Be 4.7 times more likely to be unemployed.

-Have 3.4 times more children.

-Die 22.47 years sooner.

-Use 99.24% less electricity.

-Use 97.2% less oil.

-Make 95.83% less money.

-Spend 98.18% less on healthcare.

-Experience 32.4% more of a class divide.

An interesting comparision to say the least! If you want to check some sources, the link the information is from is: http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/CA/KE . I checked where they got their information, and the CIA World Factbook and World Health Organisation seem like legitmate, peer reviewed articles (See how college life has gotten the best of me?).

Just some food for thought, feel free to leave a comment or concern below. My intent is not to make anyone feel badly, but hopefully to inspire anyone reading from Canada to appreciate the wonderful place they live!

No comments:

Post a Comment