Friday, April 6, 2012

21 22

Yesterday, I turned 22. It seems that with each year older I get, the less crazy excited about it I become. I remember making lists upon lists to do with birthday parties in elementary school. Who was invited, what things to eat, what to do. This year, I just enjoyed my day--which was quite a bit like my other days but with a bit of birthday happiness mixed in.

It was the regular things that made my day so nice! The social worker I was shadowing was gone for the morning so I got a bit of responsibility--a few people had to pick up WFP rations, so I greeted them and got them to where we keep all the corn, beans, oil, and flour. Then I got to do some home visits in Makina--I hadn't been there in ages! We went on 3, and I talked (sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly)to each family about what is going on for them and what any needs might be. A couple of big things I've come across lately is food insecurity and rent issues--food prices are going up (Milk went from 35 cents to 45 cents a couple weeks ago)and rent is increasing due to a variety to issues, some of which are slum evictions (So the government can make roads and housing in their place--when there is less housing in the slum, the prices go up. There are few rights here too so it is technically legal I believe). After the home visits, I got to fill out the per visit paperwork (which is nice, if you get to do the home visits). Then just some filing and hanging out with my coworkers-I took the matatu with one of them too so it made the ride a little less boring during the traffic.


When I got home, I treated myself to a precious bowl of KD, a soda, and a hedgehog from Purdy's that I had been saving. Awesome!

What was even more awesome was finding that I have one more macaroni and cheese package left after this meal--thought it would have been done! So, happy birthday to me.

In my humble 22 years on this earth I think I am blessed in that I have experienced a lot and therefore, learned a lot. I have grown in ways I didn't think were possible. This past year, I feel I've had an exceptional amount of 'learning opportunities', which I am sure are truly positive things and that are good happening sooner rather than later. They aren't mistakes if I learned a valuable lesson from them--and each one will definitely guide me through my 22nd year and beyond.

In true Kayla style, I think this is good opportunity to make a resolution. This year, I am going to choose happiness.

Don't we so often not? The bus is always late, someone said something mean at work, or they ran out of your favorite thing at the shop. This year, I'm glad the bus arrives at all. I'm understanding everyone has bad days and that it isn't personal. That if they ran out, you're saving a couple dollars and likely didn't need it badly anyways.

That is one thing I've noticed this past year--the ability to choose your happiness. There have been times where I've thought 'Does God not really see me as worthy of something good, so now I am experiencing this?' or 'Why does this person get this, while I do not?'. Now, I'm seeing things as the opposite--I get to learn a sweet lesson. You aren't being deprived of something, you are being given an important lesson that not everyone might get! I'm going to try to take a photo of one awesome thing each day, and post it. A visual diary of wonderful things to share.

I've still got a ways to go, but I'm grateful what I've come to know in my 22 years here on earth. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Choose happiness. Worry more about impressing yourself, and less about impressing others. You get one body, treat it right. Learn to forgive. Stand up for yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're worth it. Reward yourself. Be honest. Give. Love. Be a good friend, a good daughter, and a good person in general.

I've also come to realize that as a person of 22 years, I cannot really get away with procrastination. I'm going to sleep early, reply to emails in a timely manner, clean up right away, and write papers and reports on time. I assume this will save me a lot of grief and will also help me choose happiness!

Asante sana for reading :)

8 comments:

  1. well happy birthday! because you are not on Facebook the internet didn't alert me to this event, and i am increasingly reliant on it to tell me what to do. sigh.

    hope the hedgehog was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! We are so reliant. When is your birthday?
      The hedgehog was delicious. Purdy's is definitely on our list of places to eat when I return--I know it isn't a restaurant but we might as well treat it like one.

      Delete
    2. my birthday is at the end of June, and hopefully i'll be in Vic to celebrate it! i better be. i have concert tickets for the night before, hahah.

      Delete
  2. delayed a day but happy birthday little sister, I can't believe you are 22...god the years have flown by. Love you and once again proud of you..oh I need your email addy I want to send you some pics of the kids :) and once you are back I need to make a trip to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! I can't believe it either...I also did the math on your (top secret) age and cannot believe how time has flown by. I am so excited to see some pictures of my lovely niece and nephew! Looking forward to some updates as well. My email is kayla_woodruff@hotmail.com.

      Also, I get back at the beginning of August. We will have to plan a little family reunion. But with just us...hehe!

      Delete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday Kayla! I agree with Jordan's comment lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Punam! You're the sweetest. When I return, it will likely be you and I and Jordan for the Purdys feast. It will be similar to when the Old Navy crew ordered that $40 sundae from Ben and Jerrys...but hopefully with more self control/less calories.

      Delete
  4. Haa if only we had self control for things like that. I hope your having a fabulous time, post some more pictures please! ps. I am loving your blogging skills! Jealous to the max! xoxo

    ReplyDelete